SMACNA is an international trade association representing the interests of construction contractors engaged in the sheet metal, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning industry. SMACNA’s Labor Relations Department anticipates the collective bargaining needs of local chapters and members; responds quickly to their requests to provide realistic, practical, and valuable advice, as well as programs and services; and maintains a working relationship with labor to facilitate industry harmony.
This position offers the opportunity to create programs and meaningfully impact contractors and chapters through education and advice while being part of a supportive, collaborative team of professionals with the singular goal of benefiting SMACNA contractors.
Director of Labor Relations responsibilities:
- Provide advice and training to chapter executives and SMACNA members on labor negotiations, settlements, and trends.
- Prepare guidance on industry best practices for contractors concerning their collectively bargained workforce on a variety of issues from drug testing to federal contractor leave requirements.
- Respond to inquires regarding national labor and employment laws.
- Represent SMACNA at national, regional, and local meetings.
- Present updates and labor relations reports to membership and other bodies.
- Liaison with SMART International staff and other union officials on matters of mutual concern including resolution of potential labor disputes.
- Support labor committee in negotiations of national form collective bargaining and specialty agreements, and in arbitration proceedings.
Candidates should have a minimum of 5-years’ experience with the building construction industry as well as collective bargaining negotiations, dispute resolution, and federal labor laws. Individuals must demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively with labor while still advocating for contractors’ interests. Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must. Experience with multiemployer trust funds preferred. Other desired qualities include the ability to be a team player, someone who is self-motivated, exercises sound judgment, and has the ability to react to rapidly changing situations.
Send resume to: SMACNA, Attn: Human Resources, P.O. Box 221230, Chantilly, VA 20153-1230 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMACNA is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.